Do you know that you may have come in contact with hazardous chemicals at home without your knowledge? If you don’t pay enough attention, they can be hard to avoid. Fortunately, there are ways that you can reduce your exposure and susceptibility to them. Here are the most common household chemicals that can be toxic to your health.
Household cleaning solutions contain ammonia. Note that products having at least 5% ammonia should be labeled as poisonous.
Studies show that short-term exposure to ammonia may cause irritation, burning, and damage to the eyes and skin. It can also irritate your respiratory tract, causing coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Longer exposures may cause pulmonary edema which is a life-threatening condition.
Cleaning solutions also have sodium hydroxide or lye. Lye is a corrosive substance which irritates both skin and eyes. Swallowing, and even touching, the substance can cause serious damage requiring emergency treatment. High concentrations of lye can even burn skin and cause blindness.
Toilet bowl cleaning solutions often have hydrochloric acid in it. Hydrochloric acid is a corrosive agent that causes serious tissue damage. That is why protective equipment is required when handling products that contain such substance. Keep in mind that you should never mix it with bleach as it will produce toxic gas.
When buying cleaning solutions, it would be wise if you read the labels. Pay particular attention if they say “corrosive” or “danger”. Note that all cleaning products come with disclaimers and warnings. Make sure you read them to know what you are about to buy and how you can handle its potential problems.
Not everything that smells nice is good for you. Air fresheners are a number one example of that. Air fresheners coat your nasal passages with an oily film, thereby interfering with your sense of smell.
According to several studies, air fresheners are a source of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in indoor settings. They contain minute particles and formaldehyde that can irritate your senses, cause respiratory problems, as well as other serious issues. What’s worse is that their negative effects may take years before surfacing.
Dishwashing Agent and Laundry Detergent
Most dishwashing agents have chlorine in a dry and concentrated form. Because of its brightly colored packets, it has been mistaken by many curious kids as a candy. As a matter of fact, it’s actually the leading cause of poisoning in children. This also holds true for laundry detergent packages.
Tips for Reducing Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals at Home
Feel and live safely in your home, go natural! Doing so will help you save money on possible health care expenses. Also, protect your pockets by insuring your home!
Roper Insurance Services offers home insurance products and services that you can rely on. It helps protect you from certain risks that may come from owning a home. To know more about home insurance, call us at (828) 697-6709 or visit us today. You may also get a free home insurance quote by clicking here.